Friday, October 15, 2010

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month


I have a problem with tardiness so of course I'm a little late with this entry on Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
 
Losing my sister and friend earlier this year to cancer threw me for a loop. She was one of the most compassionate and intelligent women that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. For weeks I couldn't help but to wonder "why her?" Around the same time, my oldest brother was diagnosed with colon cancer resulting in an emergency surgery.
Cancer had become the enemy and it's effect on my family and friends thrust me into the awareness that this disease does not discriminate. I began to feel that cancer was this invisible evil thing that I had to prepare to battle with.  I chose knowledge as my shield and care as my weapon.

What I did:

I made a visit to my primary care physician and spoke with her thoroughly about my concerns. I came prepared with a list of questions including everything that I hadn't felt we had time to talk about before. She listened carefully and asked me some of her own questions. The visit also included a gynecological and breast exam worth its weight in gold.
Although I had always made sure to occasionally give myself breast exams and check my body for any weird moles, I neglected to have my doctor examine me each and every year.  No more of that.


According to  Livestrong.org
"In 2009, cancer was the cause of 8 million deaths worldwide. By 2030, that number will rise to 17 million."

Support those supporting the cause
 Here are 4 beauty and skin care products supporting cancer awareness:

Sephora's Pop-Up Brush

Sephora will donate $1 from the sale of this product to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, dedicated to preventing breast cancer and finding a cure in our lifetime. For more information, visit www.bcrfcure.org.

 


10% of the proceeds from the sales of Boscia Rose Blotting Linens will be donated to the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation (www.dslrf.org) to support breast cancer research. 


Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion 

Clinique donates $10 from each sale to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which is dedicated to finding a cure.

Clarisonic's  Skincare Cleansing Brush

With every Pink Clarisonic purchase, Clarisonic will make a donation to help fund the fight against breast cancer. *(I've read great reviews about this product)





2 comments:

Clarisonic said...

Thank you for sharing about Clarisonic pink products! We are honored to support such a great and worthy cause. If you have a moment stop by our facebook.com/Clarisonic. For every new "like" we will donate $1 to Look Good...Feel Better up to $100,000. Stop by today and share the message to help us reach our goal. Thanks again for sharing!

Marcy said...

I have been wanting to try a clarisonic forever already!

Marcy,
smudgemyeyeliner.com