Friday, September 24, 2010

Ooo Wee Whats Up With That? : Pine Bark Extract

photo taken by Jean-Pol GRANDMONT
Pine bark extract is made from the bark of the maritime pine tree. The maritime pine is native to the western Mediterranean, with a range extending over Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and Morocco.1.

Pine bark extract is considered a pycnogenol just as grape seed extract is. In a previous blog I mentioned that my doctor recommended I try OPCs (oligomeric proanthocyanidins) to help the condition of my skin. Pine bark extract falls under that group of supplements.





Pycnogenol (Pik-nah-gen-all) / Pine Bark Extract has been proven to be helpful in reducing inflammation of all kinds. Minimizing the risks of sun damage (UV-radiation). It also lightens dark spots and reduces the signs of aging, promoting collagen production, 2. pine bark extract also acts as an antioxidant. It's been know to eliminate free radicals better than vitamin C and E.

I looked around the web and saw that there isn't yet a huge boom yet in the beauty industry like that of skin healthy vitamins like Vit C or E, at least not in the US but I suspect it will come. Dr. Perricone already offers a more expensive serum & cream made with pycnogenols but I am not trying to pay $95.00 for it.  I plan on  taking 50 mg. a day and using a cream with only natural ingredients to "preserve my sexy" (c) P Diddy. We'll see how it goes.



I can only write about what this supplement does for the skin but I urge you guys to look into it and ask your doctors since pine bark extract can have benefits to many conditions from diabetes to arthritis.





More about pycnogenol:





Follow my blog with bloglovin

No comments: